Yesterday was the ridiculous snow storm that shut down NYC. Most people had snow days, but not me. People still like to eat when there is a blizzard outside. I decided to make chili on this chilly day (ha ha ha.) I've never actually made chili before but decided to just wing it and see how it went. I think I was quite successful. It tasted delicious and was relatively healthy.
1/4 lb. ground sirloin
1/2 lb. ground turkey
1 14 oz. can black beans
1 14 oz. can white kidney beans
1 28 oz. can diced red tomatoes
1 small can mild green chilies, diced
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium white onion, diced
1 small shallot, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch scallions, diced
1/3 cup Hoegaarden or light beer of your choice
juice of 2 limes
salt & fresh ground black pepper
1. Brown ground sirloin and ground turkey. Remove from pan.
2. Sweat onions, shallots, green peppers and garlic. Add 1/3 cup Hoegaarden. Allow liquid to reduce.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, chilies and lime juice. Stir to combine. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the sirloin and turkey. Season with chili powder, paprika, ground coriander, salt and black pepper.
5. Simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve and enjoy!